Friday, September 5, 2008

The Hidden Word of God

Today's Verse: Psalm 119: 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

God's word tells us how important it is to use his word to help us resist sin. But we can not just have a vague or superficial knowledge of his word. Rather, we are to dig deep, to hide God's word in our innermost being. I want to hide God's word so deeply within me that it can neither be shaken loose nor ripped away by the winds of life or the Enemy who tries to rob me.

I am reminded of the parable of the sower.
Matthew 13:5,6 -Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, 6but(A) when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root,(B) they withered away.


The seeds that were not hidden away in the soil were not safe and snug. They had no protection from the merciless scorching rays of the desert sun. That is the bad news.

Later in the passage, we get the other side of the story. Jesus describes what happens when the word is properly seated and understood by telling us the fate of the seeds that were properly deeply planted and hidden in the soil:
Matthew 13: 8,9 -Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears, let him hear.


The fruit of God's word is obedience that we might not sin against God.

Prayer- Thank you for your mercy Lord and keep me from all temptation and sin. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I was just reading about this in my Beth Moore study, Jesus the One and Only. We were at the part where Jesus is tempted by Satan and Jesus uses scripture against him.

I haven't been that good about memorizing scripture - this is a good reminder of how important it is. I'm planning on teaching my daughter this as well!

Thanks!

Lindsey ♥