Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How Sweet Are Your Words, Lord

Psalm 119:103
How sweet are your words to my taste. Sweeter than honey to my mouth.

Some things taste great going down and then I am sorry later. Tang and McDonald's milkshakes are two notable examples.

I am so grateful that the word of God is different than that. The word of God, whether through the Bible or prayer, keeps tasting better and better to me.

Honey in the ancient world was often considered valuable. It was the primary sweetener used. The psalmist is therefore comparing the pleasant sweet taste of honey to the pleasantness of meditating on God's word.

When I think of honey, I think of how sticky it is and how it clings to everything it touches. God's word is like this for me. Sometimes, the Lord will lay a particular word, phrase or verse on my heart and I will not be able to rest until I look it up. This happened to me recently with the Hebrew word "chesed".

What a wonderful God to not only reveal his truths to us but he even makes them stick to us that we might remember his commands and not sin against him.

Moms, if today you feel like this does not describe you, that you do not desire to know the truths of God's word more than even the most desirable, most pleasant, most tasty earthly delight, ask him to fill your heart with the longing to hear from him. He will be faithful to answer your prayer. I testify that he faithfully answered my prayer in this area. Hallelujah!
Bookmark and Share

No comments: